This weekend had been the southwest section CAs second Fowey Rally and although the numbers at the beginning of the weekend seemed disappointing, it was in quite a few ways a lot better than last years rally. We were a smaller group but this allowed us all to make good friends with all who wereContinue reading “Motoring home”
Author Archives: sailing758
To Fowey for Cruising Association rally
After 2 days chilling out at anchor in the Precuil River, it was time to head back to Fowey again for the CA rally. The forecast of west-northwest force 4 increasing west-southwest force 5-6, seemed to suggest a fast passage, and the tide would be heading my way from 0730hrs. I awoke at 0530hrs, soContinue reading “To Fowey for Cruising Association rally”
Having a good night’s sleep, helps making decisions easier.
With a free night on a mooring in Fowey, l had considered staying in Fowey for the next 3 nights until a CA rally. But at almost £80! l also considered going out and anchoring in St Austell Bay somewhere to wait until the rally. In the end l decided to sail back the 20nmContinue reading “Having a good night’s sleep, helps making decisions easier.”
Monday looked like the best forecast for heading back west.
I set the alarm for 0600hrs, got out and had breakfast, at 0720hrs l pulled up Elektra’s anchor and headed down river in the tail end of the flood and dropped anchor in Sand Acre Bay at 0845hrs having logged 6nm. From here l went by dinghy to Saltash Sailing Club and from there toContinue reading “Monday looked like the best forecast for heading back west.”
Need to walk
I had gone up the Tamar River on Wednesday, been down to Wear Quay on Thursday to pick up fuel from Sally and Bill. I should have had a walk ashore then but had come straight back to Elektra. I had an aborted etempt to go for a walk on Friday but since then stayed aboard.Continue reading “Need to walk”
Think about the tide Bruce!
I needed to get off Elektra for a walk. I asked Sally for local advice about landing at Halton Quay, she said 3hrs either side of high water would be OK, but advised Cotehele Quay would be better for landing and walks. Of course l didn’t think about the tide stream which was now inContinue reading “Think about the tide Bruce!”
Fuel for outboard
The evening and night before had been wet and windy, this is where cockpit enclosures come into there own. I had sailed Elektra though the lovely months of the summer, but now in September l was using her enclosure again. Next morning with the tools needed, l had a look at the outboard and managedContinue reading “Fuel for outboard”
North, up the Tamar River
Having given up on Salcombe yesterday, l decided to go north up the Tamar and explore some more of the upper reaches. I pulled up Elektra’s anchor at 0900hrs and said buy to Philip as l motored her past. I then set her genoa to sail to the bridge by Drakes Island but the sailingContinue reading “North, up the Tamar River”
A day in windy Cawsands
The forecast overnight was southwest force 5-6 vearing northwest 5-6 during the day. I had planned to head off to Salcombe in the afternoon but as the wind veared into the northwest, l wasn’t certain it was a good idea and l couldn’t see a good forecast for getting back west during the week. SoContinue reading “A day in windy Cawsands”
Moving on
I had arrived in Fowey on Thursday, l had expected a fast passage because of the forecast but it hadn’t happened, two other yachts had arrived same day from the opposite direction later, complaining of the strong winds, either the wind had increased or l had been going down wind and it seemed a lotContinue reading “Moving on”