Friday 7th July

WP_20170707_16_55_47_ProThe plan was to leave about 0900hrs, the tide would be with us around the Lizard Point between 1448-2048hrs.

I hadn’t been able to sleep very well and was up early deflating and stowing the dinghy. The forecast was NW4, W3 later, we were hoping for a nice sail back to the mainland. Vicki also got out and together we worked towards getting Elektra ready for the off, by 0745 we were ready, so we picked up our anchor and motored out of The Cove at 0800hrs. Outside the sea was like glass, we tried to sail but could only make a knot against the tide, it soon became clear we would have to motor.

I said to Vicki “the only reason we were leaving today was to get a sail and now we are motoring!” Vicki said “we could turn around” which we did but in the end we returned to our passage back to the mainland because the weather was so clear making the shipping easier to see. All the other yachts were also motoring and it soon became clear that we were not the fastest, something for the winter, a new three bladed prop for more thrust would be good.

This was the clearest crossing we had ever had, when Lands End came into view we could still see Scilly and as Scilly was left behind with Lands End to the north Lizard Point came into view. On we motored until 1430hrs we decided to try to sail, after 1/2hr we had covered 1.5nm so back to motoring again. As we rounded the Lizard at 1645hrs we tried sailing again but only making 2.8kts SOG with 1.5kts of tide we were soon motoring again. We motored on to Manacle Buoy when the wind allowed us to sail so we headed to the Precuil River for the night. Dropping anchor at 2025hrs having logged 62nm.

2 thoughts on “Friday 7th July

  1. Thanks Bruce for a very good account of your visit to the I.O.S very informative and entertaining, and the pictures are great.

    Where next?

    Cheers Philip


    1. Hi Philip

      We have to stay local now due to work until the end of the school holidays but in September we will be heading your way, we haven’t been north of Dartmouth in Lime Bay, its nice to sail a new area when you can.

      As for IOS we haven’t been able to sail both ways ever so take a full tank of diesel, always have to motor one way. This was the first time we had to motor both ways! But Scilly is will worth the effort, just the best place if you can manage to get there.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: