A few days at anchor due no wind

[wpvideo S9WTmWYN

After a very nice weekend at anchor, we had a lovely fast sail home, this video is going south in the Carrick Roads into a 2kt north spring tide, we only sailed on our genoa.

Saturday 20th October

Today was the main “Sadler & Starlight Owners Association” AGM and 40th anniversary party in Poole which we may have gone to but in the end decided to put the cost towards a new cockpit enclose planned to have made over winter.

Instead we were on the water enjoying our Sadler and the surroundings, there was little or no wind forecasted for Saturday and Sunday, then a north-easterly blow set for Sunday evening into Monday, which was due to ease over Monday afternoon. Our plan was to enjoy the October sunshine of Saturday and Sunday at anchor, let the blow go though and sail “Elektra” back to Gillan on Monday afternoon and leave her to dry on St Anthony beach to unload gear on Tuesday ready for getting her onto her winter mooring on the evening high water.

WP_20181020_17_24_48_Pro

Saturday turned into a wonderful day and we sat in the cockpit enjoying the sunshine and reading, I pumped up the dinghy and paddled around for photos, also went ashore for a walk

WP_20181020_13_31_17_Pro

Sunday was a little bit more of the same but with the weather so good we were making the most of it before the time came for us to set sail for home.

WP_20181020_17_27_57_Pro.jpg

After the blow Sunday night, Monday weather was just as nice in the morning , so a little more of the same before we had to get back, we needed to leave by 1440hrs, this was a down-wind sail NNE force 5 running against an incoming spring tide of 2kts, we just sailed on the genoa but we were still making 4.5-5kts SOG south down Carrick Roads.

I was thinking there would be more wind in Falmouth Bay bust this wasn’t the case until we were nearing Gillan. The wind picked up then just when we wanted to slow down and we sped in the entrance at 5-6kts logging 9nm in 1.75 hours. Then came the problem with picking up the tender off our mooring in a lumpy NE swell, we managed on the second try. We then motored Elektra into St Anthony’s beach to dry out tomorrow for her unloading ready for laying up.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: