Sunday 28th May

Having looked at the forecast, looked like Monday was going to be on the nose for us, so it was better for us to leave on Sunday, the tide stream wasn’t with us until 1130hrs so we didn’t have to rush off. Bit more chatting with members before the off.

The wind was forecast to increase from E3-4 to E4-6 later, not wanting to have too much sail again we set just the genoa out of Fowey at 1100hrs, we were soon logging 5-6kts SOG, the swell built from the east, all was good until the wind died 1.5hrs into passage. With the swell we had to motor until we got west of the Dodman Point and the sea motion eased and it started raining. We then sailed on again for a while until we neared the Roseland Peninsula and the swell built up again, so on with the engine. We continued to motor across Falmouth Bay and moored up in Gillan at 1530hrs having logged 24nm.

 

Fowey SSOA Rally 2017

WP_20170527_17_52_56_ProThe tide stream was with us 0400-1000hrs, I lifted he anchor at 0615hrs and Vicki motored us out of St Mawes to where we could set sail, it was raining, still motoring into wind I raised the main with one reef. Now heading south I could set the genoa but it wouldn’t un-roll, I went out on deck to find out why, my fault I had wrapped the spinnaker halyard around it after lowering the anchor ball, that sorted sail out and we were off.

Leaving St Antony Lt behind we started sailing goose winged, not quite the direction we wanted but good enough, we were soon logging up over 6kts in a westerly 4. Vicki dose not like the helm when goose winged so I had the helm, the wind picked up a bit more now over 20kts low cloud and rain with visibility down to about a mile we were making between 7-8kts SOG which was great but there was also a big swell and we were rolling a lot. At this stage I decided it would be better and safer to tack down wind. On the starboard tack we were heading SE when we wanted to head NE and on the port tack we were heading for the cliff.

I said to Vicki it would be better to lower the main and sail on the genoa only, Vicki took the helm on a starboard tack and I went out on deck to pull the main down, it took a while to sort out things safely but we got there. Back in the cockpit we turned down wind again just on the genoa still making between 5-6kts SOG, much easer sailing for Vicki. After passing the Dodman Point the rain stopped and the visibility improved to 5-6 miles, it turned out to be a lovely sail for the rest of the passage.

Passing Cannis cardinal buoy we were still making 6kts SOG, I expected this to slow as it was half tide in Fowey and going out, of coarse the sea would get steeper, I wasn’t expecting the breaking waves in the entrance, one of those days you don’t look back!

Starting the engine we motored to gain a bit more way, we motor in and moored up on the pontoon with the other four Sadler yachts already there, now 1015hrs having logged 23nm in 4hrs. Looking at the GPS the max speed was 8.8kts.

Before the day was over another three SSOA members had arrived with their yachts making a good rally of eight, I also had two emails from members who could not make the weather due to the weather.

In the evening we had a pontoon party before going over to the Gallant Sailing Club for a Bar-B-Q and more Sadler chat.

Friday 26th May

The idea today was to sail to Fowey so a SSOA Rally which I had arranged for the bank holiday weekend, weather was a bit iffy, the forecast was ESE 4-6 easing later and forecast to blow from the W on Saturday. We thought it would be possible to get to Fowey on Friday as long as long as it wasn’t to strong.

In Gillan Harbour there was a fresh easterly, we motored out into a 4ft swell but found no wind to sail by and the engine continued as we headed across the bay to St Mawes, we again headed for Manor Place and this time anchored in the shallows drying out for 4hrs overnight.

Early to bed because it would be an early start tomorrow to catch the tide to Fowey.

Sunday 21st May

We have found Elektra to be a great sailing yacht in all kind of conditions, the down side of this is we rarely use the engine for going anywhere and as we like the being aboard as much as the sailing its self we are finding we need some way to generate power. With our last yacht we used to motor a lot more because she needed a lot of wind to make her sail well. We think we will fit a good sola panel next winter.

Having been anchored all weekend I used the windless to pull up the anchor, weed! I am not sure I have ever seen so much seaweed before, must have taken me 1/2hr to clear it all, as soon as the anchor was up we were sailing on the reefed main, I cleaned the anchor and stowed it as we went. Decks cleared, back to the cockpit to unroll the genoa, out past St Mawes, it soon became clear a reef in the genoa was also needed. We would be close on the wind across the bay but would be able to do without tacking. That’s a Rassay 32 and we are going faster! Wow! Now between 5-6kts with a little slamming, I thought maybe a little less genoa which slowed up down so I let it out again. She behaved wonderfully and ploughed on though the waves, just a great sail from start to finish, as we neared Gillan I rolled away the genoa and we sailed in on the main and picked up our mooring, 6.5nm in 1.25hrs.

The end of week forecast was saying east wind again so we moved her back up Carne Creek on her anchor again.

Friday 19th of May

After three weekends had passed us by with gales and work getting in the way of sailing, this weekend looked good, Elektra had been anchored up Carne Creek for the past three weeks, so we had to get to her about 1.5hrs before HW and pick up her anchors. This we did with ease but the sounder was showing no water under the keel as we headed out of the creek, it was nice to see 0.2 showing as we headed for deeper water.

Once out of the creek we were able to moor up on our own mooring for the first time this season as it had not been serviced before. There we noticed the owners of the other Sadler 29 where aboard, we agreed we would sail together for photos, they would follow us out. I decided a reef in the main would be good, it took me a while to sort it out but got there, so we headed out of Gillan, then come a phone call to say they had a problem with their engine, no worries we said we will sail back and forth until you are ready, it was lovely sailing. Another call, they say they are going to have something to eat first and they will catch us up! OK we said and turned for Falmouth.

We goose winged across the bay until we could get on a broad reach into Pendennis Point, this was a great sail between 5-6kts, there were lots of showers around but they all mist us, not long after entering the Carrack Roads, another phone call, they said they had just had a white out hail storm, we said we had not had any rain and they couldn’t believe us, anyway they had decided to go home but they would sail over tomorrow. On hearing this we changed our direction and headed in St Mawes. We dropped anchor off Manor Place for the weekend with boat jobs to do having logged 10nm in 2hrs.

Sunday 23rd April

We awoke to wall to wall blue sky and sunshine, I had to inflate the roll-up dinghy to go and have a look at a RIB which I had see for sale on ebay. With our punt engine broken I rowed down the river to look and back again for cooked breckfast, just like bikes its your backside which hurts not your arms!

Vicki had been watching out for my return and when she thought I was close enough she put the eggs in the pan, so was ready when I arrived back. After we had eaten we sat in the sunshine for a while and then I got on to the washing up, more sitting in the sunshine before the time (1430) came when we needed to leave. We motored down the river and out past St Mawes and  set sail for Gillan, a nice slow sail followed 3-3.5kts across Falmouth Bay, we were gently passed by three racing yacht all with carbon fibber sails but the Bavaria 36 could not get away from us, the wind died, off August rock buoy so we all started motoring home.

We had only logged 13nm over the weekend but who cares about miles when you have time to sit in the sunshine.

Saturday 22nd April

There seemed to be very little wind, having tried to sail 1-1.5kts we decided to motor and charge the batteries across the bay towards Falmouth. We had to detour around the stern of a ship which was coming into Falmouth Bay for bunkering (taking on fuel oil) after the ship and the pilot boat came the bunkering tanker out of Falmouth head on, move to starboard again, all adds interest to the day.

We had planned to go to Channels Creek at the top end of the Carrick Roads but knowing we would have to motor all the way we headed for the Precuil River instead, we found a nice spot out or the wind that had seemed to pick up in the river and dropped anchor.

Not late yet but we both fell fast asleep in the evening sunshine.

Fowey to Gillan

Monday 17th April

We cast off at 1200hrs, the tide stream was with us between 1300-1900hrs, the forecast was NNW3-4, we thought we would be able to sail on just our genoa but having motored the 3.5nm to Cannis buoy we could see we needed the mainsail.

Elektra was still new to Vicki and I, we found her big and powerful compared to our last yacht, we were loving to sail on her.  

We set all the sails to cross St Austell Bay to the Dodman to the SW with a NW 5-7kts of breeze we were soon logging just over 5kts SOG, it was a lovely sail the wind picked up gently though the passage and before long we were doing a steady 6kts, we rounded the Dodman just 2hrs after dropping the mooring, by the time we got to Falmouth Bay we should had reefed the main but it never got done and the SOG had gone up to 6-7kts, we sailing into Gillan and picked up our mooring at 1630hrs, 25nm in 4.5hrs.

The tide was out so we stayed aboard and enjoyed the sunshine until there was enough water to get our punt up to St Anthony beach.

Error
This video doesn’t exist

Saturday 15th April

After a peaceful night at anchor and a lazy morning with a cooked breckfast  we decided to take a closer look at the coast of St Austell Bay.

I used our windless for the first time to lift the anchor and we motored out of the cove at 1350hrs and north towards Charlestown (old Cornish harbour, quite often used in films) we were looking for other sheltered coves to anchor for another time. Having motored north to Charlestown we then unrolled the genoa and sailed along the coast towards Polkerris in the northerly 4-5, being low water we couldn’t have a good look at Polkerris which looked like a drying anchorage with would be useful in winds from the east. We then turned south and sped up to 5kts with the wind behind, rounding Gribbin Head we headed for Cannis cardinal buoy and then cut thought the gap between the buoy and the Cannis Rock just in front of a Contessa 32 under full sail which had crossed St Austell Bay from the Dodman Point, we were logging between 5-6kts just on our genoa and we managed to keep the Contessa behind us all the way into Fowey.

Once into Fowey we rolled the genoa and motored up to the town pontoon to get some shopping and some dinner.

After we arrived back on the pontoon to find the harbour master waiting, we had been a bit longer than the 2hrs allowed, we said we were going up to Wisemans and pick up a mooring. Fowey dues once paid an email is sent, so no paperwork any more, we paid £36 for two nights, we cast off and motored up to Wisemans and moored up at 1930hrs having logged 11nm for the day.

 

 

Friday 14th April

Having sailed Elektra a few times now Vicki and I decided to go on a longer passage.

The tide stream would be against us for six hours but we decided to head in the direction of Fowey, the forecasters were giving W2-3 increasing W4-5 later, so Fowey would be a tail wind from Gillan. We set off at 1115hrs and we were making only about 2kts over ground, after an hour or so we decided to motor a bit, this we did for about 1/2hr before the wind filled in a bit and we could make 3kts over ground goose winged. Later the wind filled in a bit more, still goose winged we were making 5kts over ground just before we rounded the Dodman Point.

We sailed inside the Yaw Rock heading for Mevagissey Bay now on a port tack we were making 6kts over ground.

We decided to anchor overnight in a cove we know called Polgwyn Cove just north of Mevagissey, going north crossing Mevagissey Bay in a westerly 5 we had a little to much sail up so we had to spill the main sail a little and we were still making between 6 and 7kts over ground, having crossed the bay we sailed into the shelter of the cove and dropped anchor at 1645hrs having logged 20nm.